Graphic Novels: Home
Scholarly journals about graphic novels, comics, and manga:
Did you find this guide helpful?
Clip from 1988 documentary Comic Book Confidential
Look for Graphic Novels in our Collection
New Graphic Novels
- New!New graphic novels, comics, manga, and secondary sources about the genre on the Grenfell Library's flickr site.
How to Cite Graphic Novels
MLA Style, 9th edition
A graphic novel with a single creator (i.e. same person wrote and illustrated it) can be cited similar to a print book:
Creator Lastname, Firstname. Title of Book.
Publisher/s, year of publication.
Clowes, Daniel. Ghost World. Fantagraphic
For multiple contributors, the names of any contributors “who are important to your discussion” can be included after the title with a description of their role (MLA Handbook, p. 150).
Title of Issue. Title of Series, Contributors,
no. or vol. #, Publisher/s, year.
Season of Mists. The Sandman, by Neil
Gaiman, penciled by Kelly Jones,
coloured by Steve Oliff and Danny
Vozzo, vol. 4, Vertigo, 2011.
Storybook Love. Fables, by Bill Willingham,
lettered by Todd Klein, no. 3, Vertigo,
- Understanding Comics byCall Number: PN 6710 M335 1994
- Critical Survey of Graphic Novels: History, Theme and Technique byCall Number: PN 6725 C755 2013
- The Graphic Novel byCall Number: PN 6714 G62 2001
Check out our streaming film collections.
- Thor: The Dark WorldGrenfell Circ Desk PN 1997.2 T563 2014
See the complete list of films based on graphic novels, comics, and manga available at the Grenfell library.