RefWorks Export to EndNote Basic Online
To move citations from RefWorks to EndNote Basic Online follow the steps below.
Please note: this export will move your citations, but not attachments.
1. Login to your RefWorks Account and select Export.
2. Select the Citations you wish to export, choose RefWorks Tagged Format, and click the "Export References" button.
3. The Export file needs to be saved as a .txt file. Right click (if the file appeared in a browser window) and select "Save as". Choose a location to save the file, rename it to something you will remember, and select "Save as type: text"
4. Open EndNote Basic, select "Collect" and "Import References"
5. On the Import References Screen that appears select the file you saved. Choose RefWorks Import as the Import Option. Select an existing group, or "New group" (you will be prompted to give a new group a name).
6. Click Import.
EndNote Basic Online
EndNote Basic Online is a simple citation manager that you use within your web browser. Import a maximum of 50,000 references, and 2GB of attachments. If you like to keep your articles and citations together in one system, EndNote Basic Online will probably not be sufficient for your needs. Saving documents to a separate location is recommended for EndNote Basic Online users.
EndNote Basic Online is available to anyone, free of charge. Sign-up through Memorial University, and you will be prompted to sign-in with your Memorial University credentials using your @mun.ca email address and you can save up to 50,000 citations in your online library and have access to dozens of citation styles. Direct citation export is available for small number of online databases. Sign up for a free account here: Memorial EndNote Basic Online.
Adding Citations to EndNote Basic Online
You can add citations from most databases directly into EndNote Basic Online. The steps will vary slightly for different databases, but in general:
- In the database, select the citations you wish to export.
- Look for an option to "Export" or "Direct Export to EndNote Basic" or "Direct Export to EndNote Web"
- From the list of export options, choose either EndNote or RIS format.
- Usually, this process will download a file (.ris) that you will save somewhere on your computer (usually in the Downloads folder or on your Desktop). In some cases, instead of saving the file, you will be prompted to select EndNote Basic directly.
When you sign-in to EndNote Basic you will be automatically directed to the "Getting Started" Guide. Here you will find more information on managing and sharing your citations. You can return to this Guide at anytime by clicking on the "Show Getting Started Guide" link.
Connect EndNote Basic Online and Microsoft Word
You can utilize the Write While You Cite plug-in available through EndNote Basic to cite your references and format your bibliography in Word. Select "Format" and "Cite While You Write Plug-in" and follow the download instructions.
- Last Updated: Jun 24, 2020 10:18 AM
- URL: https://guides.library.mun.ca/citationmanagement
- Print Page